Friday, February 22, 2008

Higher Price versus Higher Cost

I had a bad experience several years ago, when I needed to find a refill for my mechanic 'PILOT' pencil. I asked my officeboy to buy 2 refill packages at the nearest shop. I gave him more than enough money to buy them, because I understood that such refill should be quite expensive. Not more than 15 minutes, he came back and passed my order, include the change money. Surprising me, the change is much more than I was expected. The refill was very cheap. I was very curious, and started to think that the shopkeeper missed-calculated it. Yuppy!!! How lucky I am. Once I openned the package, I feel there was something strange. The appearance of the package was very simillar to the regular package I used to buy, but the feel of opening it, the touch of its cap, was not as smooth as used to be. Hmmm ... after I filled in my pencil with the refill, and started to pump it, the refill was broken several time. It was not right (I think inside my heart). When I started to use it to write something, the refill was broken very easily. I was too fast to shout 'Yuppy'!!! hiks hiks .... How unlucky I am. Two packages of the refill ran out only in 30 minutes. I called my officeboy again, and explained to him that the refill he bought for me was not the original refill from 'Pilot'. They were the conterfeit product. I asked him to go back to the shop and told the shopkeeper that he sold a counterfeit product, and I would tell the police for this (hehehe, I believed his face turn to the palest face it can be and he should be panic along the day hehehehe - actually I never tell any policeman about this - hehehe), and asked my officeboy to buy me another refill from another shop. The original refill would be last over than 1 month, depend on how you use it. The price is higher than the fake one, but if I count the total cost, the original one is cheaper than the fake one. I believe that others also have the same experiences. Many similar cases lead to a conclusion that the product price is not the only thing we need to consider. Quality is also the other important thing that we have to check and consider before we decide to buy something. Higher price is not always higher cost.

No comments: